Thank you for your query in relation to continuity of rowing activity in light of restrictions outlined by the Prime Minister to keep the community safe during the COVID-19 outbreak.
Relative to sport and recreation, the following restrictions enforcing closure are in place at Monday 30 March 2020:
- gyms and indoor sporting venues
- amusement parks, arcades and play centres (indoor and outdoor)
- health clubs, fitness centres, yoga, barre and spin facilities, saunas, bathhouses and wellness centres and swimming pools
- community facilities such as community halls, libraries and youth centres, RSL and PCYC
- One-on-one personal training (i.e. trainer and client) can be conducted outdoors while observing physical distancing. Boot camps can no longer proceed
As rowing falls outside of these restrictions, it may proceed. However, it should not be business as usual. All mitigation measures should be put in place to lower the risk of disease transmission. In particular, you must ensure that any gathering of people to access rowing equipment in storage facilities does not have a density of more than one person per 4m2 and people must not participate in groups greater than two individuals at any point in time (ie individual rowing only). This extends to practices around the venue, water entry and exit, and boat loading either to vehicles or storage. Clear signage for participants, staggered storage access times and strict adherence to hygiene practices may assist ongoing activity for individual participants.
Participants who are aged over 70, aged over 65 with pre-existing condition or indigenous people aged over 50 with pre-existing conditions are advised to stay home wherever possible for their own protection.
The situation is evolving rapidly. These restrictions may change. If you would like to be informed if further restrictions are put in place which do affect rowing activities, please contact me or monitor government communications to ensure you are kept informed, including the ACT Health website at www.health.act.gov.au.
Individual rowing clubs are advised to use their own discretion in deciding to open or remain closed based on individual circumstances related to COVID-19.
Executive Branch Manager |Sport and Recreation